Saturday, April 21, 2012

Moving to Ghent soon : Specific questions

Deal All,





I did see another topic like this one, but I have a few specific questions. That%26#39;s why I created a new topic. Sorry about the duplicacy.





I will be coming to Ghent in the beginning of Jan 2007 for about a year or so. For the first 4 months, I will be on a Business Visa, which will later change to a Work Permit for the rest 8 odd months.





I will need to go to teh Arcelor (Sidmar) office.





The information I would really appreciate is:





1. Should I stay in Ghent or Zelzate? How far will teh office be from the place you suggest I stay in?



2. How can I commute to and from office?



3. For a single bedroom flat (I am alone) , how much should I pay (in Ghent/ in Zelzate)? Can I get a flat on sharing basis?



4. Does the rent usually include charges like gas, heating, water etc?



5. Can I get an internet connection easily?



6. How much is enough for a single guy to live on in Ghent? I am not a party animal nor do I smoke or drink.



7. Is it essential that I have a car?





I%26#39;ll be really obliged to get some light on these.





Thanks,



Shivaji




|||



Hello



I am working at Arcelor Sidmar.







I think you better stay in Gent Sidmar is about 15 Km from centrum Gent.



At the station off Gent you can take a bus to Sidmar ( about 35 to 40 minutes).



Small single bedroom flat about 300€ to 350€ without gas, heating or water .I don’t know about sharing



No problem to get internet connection.



You can live here on 1000€ month (if you are no party animal) this includes your bedroom rent.



No need for a car in Gent



You can eat cheep at Sidmar





Good luck




|||



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghent




|||





Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it :)





And what a co-incidence, that you work at Arcelor!





Do you stay in Gent as well? I suppose a lot of people working at Arcelor stay in Gent. So staying in Gent does make sense.





Approximately how much will it be for a to and fro ride to Arcelor from Gent Centrum? And what is is Gent Centrum ? Is it the center of Gent? A hotel? A land mark? I have seen the sign in a lot of maps but nowhere it explained what it was.





Also, does Arcelor have a company bus service or something that I can enlist myself on? And what are the working hours? I%26#39;m sorry for being so inquisitive but I hope you understand that I%26#39;m leaving my country for the first time and going to a place where I do not know anybody at all!





Also, I have heard Beligium has very high taxation. Just so that I have a figure in mind, could you please tell me an approximatre figure about how much I will be taxed if my gross salary is €4500 per month? I don%26#39;t know how much I will be paid yet, but if I have a figure in mind, I will be in a better position to negotiate with my HR person.





Thanks again!



Shivaji




|||



This is my email adres dirkvb42@yahoo.com



Send your questions to that mail adres



I can not answer all your questions in a public forum.



Can you give me a name from the person you have to meet in Arcelor Sidmar ???



Send it to my mail.



I will do my best to help you




|||



Dear Shivaji,





I was quite lucky to come acrosss your blog and was amazed to find same set of questions i had in my mind. I%26#39;m coming to Gent by Setember %26#39;08 on Work Permit. I will be working for ArcelorMittal Gent (SIDMAR). During June I was there in Business VISA, but was staying in Zelzate. Now since I%26#39;m coming for long term, I felt Gent would be the right place to stay. But my only concern is the transaportation from Gent to Sidmar. As far as i know Bus# 73 comes from Gent Centrum to Sidmar, but only at 7:15 am (Gent - Sidmar) and 5:15 pm (Sidmar - Gent). otherwise i guess there is no bus which comes through KennedyLaan highway.





I just want your answer for the same set of questions you had posted in this forum (Based on ur experience). It will be very helopful for me to decide whether to stay in Gent or else in Lokeren (small town), which has frequent buses to Sidmar (Bus# 49).







Thanks,



Sathish.








|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 06, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment