Thursday, April 19, 2012

W.W.1 Battlefields

I would appreciate advice about going to the WW1 battlefields via public transport either bus or train. I know that there are guided tours but they seem very expensive @ E50.00 per adult. My wife and I will be in Brugge in mid september.





Thanks





Heart68




|||



Hi there,





By all means I am no expert but I have been doing a bit of research of touring the area myself as I intend to be in the area late September.





The best way without taking a tour would be to rent a car as some of the sites are far apart and a good guide book. I guess it all depends on how large of an area you wish to visit. I%26#39;ve never even thought of public transportation to sites other than say a train into Ypres. Can someone tell me if using public transportation is possible?





As for tours, you might want to visit www.visitbelgium.com website and under %26quot;Practical Info%26quot; for tour operators. I think the section you might want to look at is the %26quot;special interest tours%26quot; and locate %26quot;Tour Operators in Belgium%26quot; under the WW1 %26amp; 2 heading. It lists quite a few different tours from short 3 hour tours to the whole day. I think the prices vary depending on which operator you choose of course.





When you factor in the cost of the train from Brugge to Ypres (where many of the tours begin) and then the cost of a tour, you might well consider taking a tour directly.





From my point of view, the cost of going on a tour will be worth it for the knowledge the guides will provide that is unless you know the history well.





Maybe someone else on the forum who has done the battlefields either indepently or on a guided tour will have some more advice on which might be better.





Good luck and hope you have a wonderful trip.





naidanac




|||



I have no experience myself with guided tours but if you don%26#39;t have a car I believe they%26#39;re the only option. As stated by the previous poster, the various battlefields are scattered all over the area of the Westhoek.





Have you checked out the Ieper (Ypres) website? The tourist office offers organized tours. Of course you will have to get from Brugge to Ieper first, which is at least one and a half hour on the train each way.





Anyway, here they are:



Battlefield tour: http://www.ypres-fbt.be/



Salient tour: http://www.salienttours.com/



Over the top tour: http://www.overthetoptours.be/





With the standard Battelfield tour (30€, incl. the entrance fee for the museum which is a *must*) you will have seen a lot. It%26#39;s all pretty moving and hard to digest.





In case you consider to rent a car for the day I would advise you to buy the outmapped car routes at the tourist office (www.ieper.be/ieper_en.aspx…). It%26#39;s only 2.50€ per route. Going by car on yourself will even allow you to combine two car routes (the In Flanders Fields and the Yser Front Route) if you don%26#39;t mind making it a long day.




|||



Hi,



I am looking to go on a battlefield tour from Bruge, and I was wondering if anyone can give some advice as to which one is best. At the moment I am looking either the quasimodo tour or the Flanders field Battlefiaeld tour. Both are around the same price and length of time.



Here are the links anyway so u can see what i am talking about :



visitbruges.org/visit-tours-bruges/…





or



visitbruges.org/visit-tours-bruges/…





any help or other suggestions would be great,



thanks




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 06, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment