Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Restaurant for my birthday in August

Hi, I am staying at the Metropole in Brussels for 3 nights in August for my birthday. My birthday is on a monday, so can anyone recommend a good restaurant in the area I am staying? Just want somewhere where the food is good and has a nice %26quot;feel%26quot; - stars are not necessary!!! Any suggestions gratefully received! Thanks!




|||



A nice feel is awfully subjective but if it isn%26#39;t on holiday (some Belgian restaurants close for an entire month in July or August!), I can recommend L%26#39;Ogenblick in the Galerie des Princes, about 10 minutes walk from your hotel in a side-passage of the Galeries St. Hubert: http://www.ogenblik.be/.




|||



Hi thanks for your reply! I meant anywhere where the food is good - fresh - and with a good atmosphere - perhaps some music in the background and has a good reputation! You mentioned that some places are closed the whole of july/august - promise me I won%26#39;t starve for 4 days!!!!!! Anything else I should know from a nice local such as yourself???




|||



At the risk of not being considered %26quot;a nice local%26quot;, I said %26quot;SOME Belgian restaurants close for an entire month in July OR August%26quot;, not ALL restaurants close in July/August. Of course you are not going to starve, my point was merely that it is hard to recommend a specific restaurant for that time of year without researching its holiday plans.



Few restaurants here have %26quot;music in the background%26quot;, they tend to take food more seriously than that.



My only other recommendation would be to avoid restaurants in the rue des Bouchers and Petite rue des Bouchers (area near Galeries St. Hubert, not actually in the Galeries like L%26#39;Ogenblick), apart from Chez Léon and Aux Armes de Bruxelles: basically avoid all those with a display outside and/or waiters who try to drum up custom (nothing wrong with the food but this is the only area in Bxl where they have a cover charge, and they are also inclined to pad the bill, there are always strange misunderstandings over which wine was ordered etc....).




|||



Hi! thanks for your reply . I WAS joking - really didn%26#39;t think I was going to starve for 4 days!!! Seriously tho, I do appreciate all the advice you have given me - it is great to know in advance which places/areas to avoid and also those to go to!!!! I think I like the sound of Brussels if they take the food that seriously there is no music in the background!!! I love eating %26quot;local%26quot; food when away from home - any big city has its good and bad points (London being a prime example!!!!). Looking forward to my trip already!!! Thanks again!




|||



for belgian stuff try Aux Armes de Bruxelles,





i like in%26#39;t spinnekopke, t%26#39;kelderke and au stekkerplatte.





For meat i like Vincent and some nice fish places round st katherine.







look at resto.be for more details




|||



i forgot to mention Belgaqueen whci is pretty special if a bit noisy. good place to go to at least once.




|||



Hi thanks !! I have saved all your suggestions and will print out the list and take it with me on my trip!! I like the sound of the Belgian places - I always like to try the local food/drink etc when I go somewhere new. Belgaqueen looks good - but expensive - don%26#39;t know how much my husband loves me for that one!!!! Thanks again - I will let you know which one I like best on my return!!!!




|||



lunch at belgaqueen it has a seafod bar and a beer place as well




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, October 03, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment