Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Novice backpacker trying to see as much as possible~~Advice?

I know this is somewhat of a general question not specifically related to Belgium itself but I%26#39;m trying to look for any type of feedback...positive or negative. I am trying to make the best trip possible seeing everything I can in a 2 week period. I was planning on making a giant loop through western Europe. Starting in Spain, Southern France, Italy, Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, and to finish Northern France. Am I getting ahead of myself by trying to visit all these places in the time allowed? I%26#39;ve done plenty of research but I%26#39;d like to hear from experienced travelers who have done such a journey.




|||



I think what you will mostly see is trains, assuming that that is how you intend to visit these 6 countries in 2 weeks! Not counting day of arrival and departure, that%26#39;s 2 days per country, and you have asked this question in the smallest one you would be visiting, or perhaps merely changing trains in.



All I can say regarding Belgium is that if you are coming to Brussels from Amsterdam, make sure you get an InterCity train and not Thalys (both take 3h), then you can get off at Gare centrale which is the best area both to stay in, if you are, and for visiting - the Grand%26#39; Place is just 5 minutes%26#39; walk down the hill. When continuing to Paris, however, you will have to take a local train one stop from Gare centrale to Midi, since that is where Thalys (1h22 to Paris) starts and other than by bus (4h) it%26#39;s the only way you can go. If you are using some sort of rail pass, bear in mind that you will have to pay a supplement for Thalys.




|||



Thanks for your input. I made a vague preliminary list of places I%26#39;d like to go no matter how unrealistic it may be. And eventually I will be cutting it down probably 2-3 more times before I am satisfied. I know a lot of the trip will be seeing the inside of a train but I do wanna make the most of it.




|||



It may be more realistic to spend 2 weeks each on Spain, France, N. Italy, S. Italy, Germany, and Benelux. Or you can cross countries by perhaps e.g. tracing the pilgrimage route from France to Santiago de Compostela in Spain.



To me, to be a backpacker has a different meaning than %26#39;living out of a suitcase%26#39;. It implies a down-to-earth traveling experience with emphasis on the local life and splendor. This aspect is not attainable by a whirlwind tour. Please goto the website of New York Times and read about the blogs of the Frugal Traveler currently doing the Grand Tour of Europe.



My experience is: without adequate time one should try to minimize long distance trips.



I don%26#39;t know if you are interested in museums. The Louvre alone needs more than a day, The Vatican needs a day. The museum island alone in Berlin needs 2 days. Munich will need 2 days. Even in Brussels it needs the greater part of a day.




|||



Well, with my work schedule and economy looking so dim right now it%26#39;s gonna be hard to make my trip any longer than what I already have planned. I think I may shorten my itinerary to focus more on a region. That way I can take more time in each place. You are right, I%26#39;d like to %26quot;get a feel%26quot; for a place and its people rather than just a glimpse. But on the other hand, the whirlwind tour to me would give me kind of a general idea of what its like in multiple countries. Eventually at a later time I could take another trip and actually explore a specific place that I had liked from my previous travels. I hope all that makes sense. I believe there are adv/disadvantages to both types of travel...I just want to make the most of it and enjoy my surroundings.




|||



I replied to you in another forum--France I think--and said it would be best to pick three places and go with those. It is tempting to try to %26quot;see%26quot; as much as possible, but you really aren%26#39;t experiencing a place when you just breeze through it.



My backpacking buddy and I spent less than a day in Venice--imagine!--and I barely recall it. We spent the following three days in Florence and we loved it. Why a %26quot;kiss%26quot; only of Venice, I don%26#39;t recall, but I%26#39;ve always wanted to go back and do it justice.



This won%26#39;t be your only trip to Europe. So relax and enjoy where you do manage to get to on this trip.




|||



Hey Tex, thanks for your comments they are definetly appreciated. All the feedback by other travelers like yourself are gonna help me plan a way better trip than I imagined. Thanks again.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 pm, October 04, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment