Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Renting near EU area

Could anyone recommend good streets/areas for renting an apartment around the EU area? Or which areas it is better to avoid? I’m new in Brussels and will be working near Berlaymont building. So I’d like to rent smth within walking distance or reasonable metro/bike ride from there.





Thanks a lot!




|||



You%26#39;ll need to see what you can find in your price range rather than starting out by excluding whole areas, but the range of possibilities is very wide given that Schuman is served by metro line 1 and a number of bus routes, and the city is not enormous anyway. Most foreigners prefer to stay this side of the canal: contrary to many cities, in Brussels the Eastern (Woluwes) and Southern (Uccle, not convenient for public transport) suburbs are more comfortable than the Western ones. You might possibly find something going in the big buildings near Place Jourdan, which has just about everything you could need including a market on Sundays.



There are property listings on www.xpats.com (from The Bulletin, so you don%26#39;t have to buy it). I presume you also know about the Vlan (www.vlan.be or you can buy it from newsagents).




|||



Gaminari,





Your reply was very helpful. I have the same problem, only I need to rent repeatedly for a few days each time. I%26#39;d prefer a furnished bedsit or flat, not necessarily within the EU Quarter but definitely close to a metro station and as a woman also in a busier street or safe area. I tried to contact a few agencies through websites but hardly ever receive a response. I%26#39;m interpreting this as demand exceeding supply. Is it really so bad and will I struggle each time I need to find something or am I looking in the wrong places? Any advice appreciated.




|||



Demand does exceed supply as there are a lot of people in the same situation. The repeat business market generally uses %26quot;aparthotels%26quot; or serviced accommodation, e.g. Les Citadines: one located near Ste. Catherine metro station, handy for Schuman, and one near Louise.



At all events, for a few days each time, you are essentially renting by the day just like a hotel, and not many agencies do this. You could try: http://www.homeinbrussels.be/en/index.html



only-apartments.com/aparthotel-brussels.html



ruesouveraine.com/rue_souveraine/2008/06/bru…



The alternative would probably be to stay in a B%26amp;B. Or take a longer-term rental but bear in mind that any lease of a duration of less than 3 years (e.g. 3 months, 6 months) is fixed term and you cannot end it early, so you would be committed to paying rent for the entire duration.



The only area of Brussels I wouldn%26#39;t really recommend is around Gare du Midi, and not so much for reasons of safety (although it is reputed to be a hot spot for petty crime) but because it is horrible. Molenbeek is not very nice either but you aren%26#39;t like to find anything there.




|||





Gaminari,





Thank you so much for your suggestions. I guess when I get more familiar with Brussels, I%26#39;ll be able to look further afield, but for now I%26#39;d like to stay close to areas that I know a little and they are not many.





I am going to try the links you provided as I can see now that serviced apartments and possibly B%26amp;Bs are the only option pricewise. I have no experience with B%26amp;Bs, should I consider them, too? In the UK B%26amp;Bs are very common, but is it the same in Belgium / Brussels? As these are probably rented out by private individuals, there may be more pitfalls to avoid.





Thanks for sharing your experience.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:25 am, October 11, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment